SUBJECT FACULTY

Elizabeth-McKay-resize

Elizabeth McKay
Eurythmy Teacher

Elizabeth has a BA from the University of South Carolina and a MA from New College of California. She moved to Asheville in 1999 to be closer to her family and to enjoy the beautiful mountains of Western North Carolina. In 2006 she received her Eurythmy diploma from the Rudolf Steiner College in California. When her first child was born, she dedicated her time to nurturing the growing Waldorf community in Asheville. She is a founding Board Member, past Board President, and serves on the Leadership Team. She is the mother of two young children who attend Azalea Mountain. Elizabeth is currently pursuing additional training in facilitation and mediation. She enjoys spending time with family and friends, hiking, dancing, and reading.

Spanish Teacher 
Spanish Teacher

Bio coming soon

Strings Teacher  
Strings Teacher

Bio coming soon

2016-ams-headshots-131-edit-1-1-ratio-low-res

Charity Cimarron
Music Teacher/ 3rd-5th Grade Handwork Teacher

Charity Cimarron is a mother, woodland creature, craftswoman, and performing musician. She spent many years living alternatively, off-the- grid, in a straw-bale house, in a converted school bus, and in tents, tipis, and yomes across the country. She has spent countless hours hiding out in the underbrush, learning bird songs, eating wild foods, and making medicine. As a craft addict, she has spent even more hours weaving, spinning, sewing, book-binding, and basket-making. She has been playing piano since she was 5, singing in choirs since she was allowed in. She plays guitar, banjo, accordion, and writes her own music. Her passion is Eastern European and Balkan music. She has played in a few touring bands and is currently working on a solo album!

Brita Nordgren Wolf 
1st and 2nd Grade Handwork Teacher

Brita attended the Emerson Waldorf School in Chapel Hill, NC from preschool-8th grade, where her mother also taught. Brita holds a BA in Art History from the University of North Carolina at Asheville and studied furniture design and woodworking at Capellagården in Sweden. Brita is also the school’s Enrollment Coordinator. Brita is mother of two young daughters, one of which attends the nursery class here at AMS. She enjoys baking, sewing, carving spoons and spending as much time outdoors with her family as she can.

Sophia Morgan
After School

Born into a family committed to Waldorf Education, Sophia has been immersed in Waldorf modes of parenting and teaching from her earliest years. She first attended the Waldorf School of Lexington in parent-child classes and has stayed connected to this holistic philosophy ever since. She became an assistant in parent-child programs at the very same school, and in a Waldorf-inspired forest playgroup before moving to Asheville to support her longtime sweetheart, Lavender, in studying massage therapy. In Asheville. Sophia co-led an aftercare program and taught biodynamic- and permaculture-inspired gardening to elementary school students before moving on to teach two and three-year old children in the Asheville Jewish Community Center’s preschool. Starting in 2017 she became the Lead Afternoon Teacher at Azalea Mountain School. She is filled with joy when creating a space for kindergarteners to
discover calm and relaxation in community through the Rest Nest extended day program, and when building strong relationships and community across ages through the kindergarten and grades’ combined nature-centered aftercare program. Outside of her role as teacher, Sophia is active in Jewish life in Asheville; she enjoys biodynamic gardening, fiber arts, DIY music, and both hiking and swimming with Lavender in our beautiful mountains and valleys.

Denise Kampouris  
After School Assistant

I am the mother and grandmother of an Azalea Mountain teacher and student, and because of this, I have been blessed to be a part of this beautiful community. I have been an assistant teacher with special needs children at the Cerebral Palsy center in Atlanta. I also assisted and led the children’s program at an ashram in upstate New York. I later homeschooled my 2 sons, and after a while assisted in our homeschool group. After doing some substitute teaching at Azalea Mountain School, I felt a strong desire to be here more. I’m so grateful that my dream came true and that I am part of the afternoon programs.